Memory Verses for Kids

April 5, 2017 17 Comments

One of the sweetest gifts my parents gave me was the verses they trained me to memorize when I was a child. I remember my mom had typed out a full page of references on her typewriter ๐Ÿ˜‰ and rewarded us with smiley-face stickers as we committed each one to memory.

The ultimate prize was an ice cream cone. (The only reason I remember this was because after all my hard work, I chose bubblegum flavor and I was sorely disappointed… turns out, itโ€™s not fun trying to chew gum and enjoy ice cream at the same time. ๐Ÿ™‚ )markus-spiske-113973

Regardless of my flawed prize, and even perhaps my motives at the time for doing it, I am forever indebted to my parents for the investment those verses made into my future.ย As an adult I have memorized things. Some of them have stuck and others have completely vanished away, but the ones taught to me as a child are in the very fabric of my being.

The verses they encouraged me to learn have brought healing, peace, joy, and guidance to my life. They have been the words I have heard when I was nowhere near my parent’s ย voice, and the arms that have held me when I was completely out of their reach.

NIV Memory verse listFor this reason, every morning after breakfast, we do Bible verses with our kids. Since our kids are little we usually spend a whole week, sometimes two memorizing a verse (depending on the length).

There will come a day when those innocent, crumb-filled faces will be in the thick of life. They will experience happiness, sorrow, fear, anger, rejection, hatred, and possibly even suffering. And when that day comes, I want them to know where they can find the answers, how to ask for wisdom, what to do with hard things, where to get peace, and who they can pray to about it all.

Here are some of our favorites. ย You can download and print aย Check-list/Verse-List here:

NIV Translation

KJV Translation

How do you share your faith with your kids?

Memory Verses for kids

April 5, 2017

Jessica, you are absolutely right in every way. Thank-you for sharing. We do memory verses with our babies. Like you said, we believe that life will happen; it may be filled with pain, suffering, rejection, hatred and more. If they have scripture hidden in their hearts, they will know the hard truth and the answers. When they have scripture in their hearts, my heart then is completely at peace. โค

April 5, 2017

Thanks, Susan! I love the way you said it in the last sentence…that is exactly how I feel. I can have peace knowing that I’ve given them the tools they need to face this life. <3

SammyandSufi

April 5, 2017

That is beautiful, you know it takes a lot of work to commit to this and keep going with it not knowing how much of it they will retain, but I am sure your effort is worthwhile and heartfelt and they will feel that regardless of the future.

April 5, 2017

Thanks! Yes, just like learning anything, it takes time and a little gentle persistence. ๐Ÿ™‚ <3

welcometothenursery

April 5, 2017

I love this!! So beautiful to do this with your kids. Great job! This is tough for me because we’re a mixed religion family, Jewish and Lutheran, but the good Old Testament verses might be a nice common ground. Thank you for the inspiration!

April 5, 2017

Absolutely, sounds great! It’s amazing how their little minds can memorize so fast! ๐Ÿ˜‰

April 5, 2017

Wonderful thing to do for your children – teach them the word of God. Going to church and doing scriptures at home is perfect for teaching children.

April 6, 2017

Thanks Peggy! Thats what we are trying our best to do…give them a good foundation. ๐Ÿ™‚

April 5, 2017

Yes, yes, yes! And thank you for sharing!! As a mama who wasn’t raised in a Christian home, I’m always searching for examples of how to raise my kids up in God’s family and leave a legacy of faith.

April 6, 2017

Sure:) I always love learning how other families pass their faith on too. <3

Terrigirl2017

April 6, 2017

Such a lovely way of introducing kids to the bible Jessica. We do say prayers with the kids but I want to do a daily bible reading verse also. The ones you picked areso, dare I say “inspiring” Have a great night, huggs Terri ๐Ÿ’–

April 6, 2017

Thanks Terri! I love hearing that you say you do prayers with yours! <3 so sweet!

Terrigirl2017

April 6, 2017

We have to bring them up in the faith , as best we can , I know I can do more , but need to prioritise the time. Church on Sunday does have the bible readings needed to meditate on. Hugs, Jessica, Terri xoxo.

April 6, 2017

So good. Thank you for sharing <3 <3

wittymummy

April 6, 2017

Thanks for sharing this! My boys are trained in their preschool to memorise at least one biblical verse every week.

Keri

April 13, 2017

These are great! I am excited about sharing these with my kids. We love digging into the Word together!

April 13, 2017