Printable Learning Folder for the Early Years

September 25, 2017 38 Comments

The smoke from all the fires is finally starting to clear out of our area, and the Oregon rain is moving back in.Β Our regularly scheduled events are back in motion and the start of our home school year has begun.
I could not be more excited to home school. It’s been so exciting planning out our daughter’s first year.

We’ve chosen a literacy-based style which will hopefully lay a positive and enjoyable foundation for her education. Β We plan on spending a lot of time reading and exploring outside with the exception of a few small segments of handwriting and math which we’ll sit at the table for.

To include my three-year oldΒ as much as possible, I decided I would make him his own binder to work through for those moments we are sitting around the table getting some structured work in.

So far, it’s working wonderfully.

We are almost a month into our schooling and he still grabs it every morning when Jovie heads to the table for her handwriting. And the best part is that he is learning as well!

The Learning Folder

Now, I thought this was a brilliant idea until I made the first few pages, then I realized this was a much bigger task than I had anticipated. πŸ˜‰

What I was thinking would take a few nap times turned into quite the project. A month later and some change…I finished it.

Although it took longer than I had anticipated, the end result was pretty pleasing. It turned out cute and my son loves it.

Age Appropriateness

I made this folder with my three-year old in mind, as well as a few topics that I knew I would be covering with my preschooler this year.

The folder is organized with the easiest pages toward the beginning and then progressing to the back with more challenging topics like money and time.

Topics covered

When I sat down to make a list of the topics, I realized that the possibilities were endless. After much deliberation, I settled for the ones that would work best with my kiddos. The topics included are:

• Colors
  • Phone Number
  • Clock/Time
  • Money
  • Skip Counting
  • The Five Senses
  • Parts of a Flower

(Here’s a quick video of the all the contents)

Assembly

I really wanted this binder to withstand a three-year old boy. Therefore, I decided to laminate each page and use clear velcro to attach the movable pieces. (I used velcro tape for the larger pieces and used the velcro dots for the smaller pieces.)

Once again, a little more work upfront, but well worth it. Assembly materials used:

Free Printable For You

Lets be honest, every time I see this folder on my desktop I remember how much work went into this. Ha! If there is even one other mama that could use it, I feel like I could justify the time spent. πŸ™‚

Sign up for this Learning Folder below and enjoy!

Printing: Every printer is different so colors may not be exact. Make sure you set your page orientation to landscape before printing.

P.S. This download is for personal use ONLY. Therefore, you agree that you will not alter, sell, reproduce, modify, or publicly display any content except for personal, non-commercial use. (The full disclosure is contained within the printable file.)

TO GET YOUR FREE LEARNING FOLDER…

SIGN UP IN THE ‘FREE PRINTABLES’ BOX BELOW!!! (This File will NOT open on a phone.)

This post is also shared on Literacy Musing Mondays Linkup

Creative K Kids

The Homeschool Post

*This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.

Lenae

September 25, 2017

Okay Jessica, this is incredible. Mine is quickly hand drawn. I LOVE this! And now that I have a working printer again, I will be making lots of new pages. Thanks!

September 26, 2017

Thanks Lenae! I had you in mind when I was making this! You gave me a great starting point, and If I had your drawing abilities I would have hand-drawn it too! I had a ton more ideas, but the time just wasnt there. lol. Make sure you show me how yours is coming along. Love you, Friend!

Elizabeth

September 30, 2017

Thank you thank you thank you!! I’ve been searching for something to work with my son and daughter for awhile now and this is exactly what I needed – bless you th heart for putting it out there to help other moms!

September 30, 2017

Yay! Thats awesome! Thank you for the kind words! Hope its a great resource for your little ones! πŸ™‚

September 25, 2017

Perfectly elaborate!. I think it can be easy to leave out the little one when trying to stay on point with the oldest when homeschooling. I like your folder ❀

September 26, 2017

Thanks Susan! Mine are pretty close in age, so the time I need to spend with his older sister is pretty short making this type of thing quite practical in our situation. πŸ™‚ Hope your school year is going well! πŸ™‚

Terrigirl2017

September 26, 2017

Hi Jessica, I am glad things are getting back to normal for you! Home schooling must be such fun! Most of us don’t get the chance to be our kids primary teacher. I am so happy for you that you can do it! And it is nice your son can learn at his pace too , and has a will to learn. It looks like a cute learning topic list, and important things for him to know. Haha , you do need to make the folder 3 yr old boy proof! I know. I will hopefully get to download later. Thank you so much , you are such a helpful friend to think of us all! Hugs, Terri xo.

September 27, 2017

Thanks Terri! Hope you are having a great week and enjoying the fall season! <3

thisgratefulmama

September 27, 2017

What a great idea to laminate this! Isn’t it true that sometimes what we think are small projects at first take the most time? This seems like it was worth the extra thought and effort! Thank you for sharing!

September 28, 2017

lol, yes! I didnt calculate that one very well. Thank you for the kind words and for stopping by! <3

Dianna

September 27, 2017

How wonderful that you include your son. I’m so happy the fires are getting under control and the smoke is gone from where we live!!

September 28, 2017

Yes! I’m so thankful for breathable air! πŸ™‚

Polly White

September 28, 2017

Thanks for the free resources.

September 28, 2017

You’re welcome! <3

September 28, 2017

I’m putting together a bunch of stuff to print and laminate at FedExβ€”I think I’ll need to add this! How nice this is! Very well done. Thanks πŸ™‚

September 28, 2017

Haha! Sweet! πŸ™‚

Katherine Benfante

October 1, 2017

Jessica, this is INCREDIBLE!! Thank you for sharing what took you much time. It is beyond awesome. I think my 4yo would benefit from this, too – the money and time concepts are hard, as are the order of the days and months. I think I’ll make this for her and then pass it on to her (very bright and eager) 20mo sister when she’s ready.
    I am truly in awe of you homeschooling mamas. Very creative.
    I’m glad things are getting back to normal for you – fires are scary!

October 2, 2017

Awesome! Thanks for all the sweet words! I’m glad you might get some use from this as well. πŸ™‚

Kimberly

October 5, 2017

Thank you this is really well done. How are you storing all the pieces?

October 6, 2017

Thank you! I just keep them attached to the appropriate pages. πŸ™‚

Natalia

October 23, 2017

I’m so happy I came across this page πŸ™‚my 3yr old daughter loves learning new things we’ve been working on numbers, ABC’s, colors and shapes etc… She knows how to spell her name already “Soleil” I try to come up with fun creative ways of learning for her. She’s been asking to bring her “school work” lol with her while we’re on the go. This will be perfect!!! Thank you for the printable’s you did an awesome job.

October 23, 2017

Awesome! I love that your daughter will be able to get some good use from the Learning Folder! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words! <3 <3 <3

Yoti

October 27, 2017

This is exactly what I was looking for! thank you so much!!

October 27, 2017

awesome! You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

Dayna Adira

October 31, 2017

I wish I had a little one just so I can print it out!

October 31, 2017

πŸ™‚

Karen

November 1, 2017

This is AMAZING! Thank you!

November 2, 2017

You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

sephoravella

November 10, 2017

where can I get this freebie please?

November 10, 2017

sign up in the ‘free printable’ box at the bottom of this post and it will take you directly to the file. πŸ™‚

Ruz

November 10, 2017

Thank you very much this will be very helpful with my three year old.

November 11, 2017

absolutely! <3

Alexis

November 21, 2017

Thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly what we needed, I look forward to introducing it to my son’s daily routine!

November 23, 2017

You’re welcome! I hope your son benefits immensely!😊

Christine

November 23, 2017

Hey I have 4 Special Ed kids and this would be perfect. It says I can only get one right. So do I need to get this 4x. Please help?

November 23, 2017

Christine, Just download the file and print out a copy for each of your kids. 😊

KiraLee

December 10, 2017

Thank you so much!! I have just made the choice to home-school and this is fantastic!!! I see a tab for homeschooling that i will be exploring too.

December 11, 2017