Printable Learning Folder for the Early Years

September 25, 2017 93 Comments

~This is Now a Paid Resource~

The smoke from all the fires is finally starting to clear out of our area, and the Oregon rain is moving back in.Β Our regularly scheduled events are back in motion and the start of our home school year has begun.
I could not be more excited to home school. It’s been so exciting planning out our daughter’s first year.

We’ve chosen a literacy-based style which will hopefully lay a positive and enjoyable foundation for her education. Β We plan on spending a lot of time reading and exploring outside with the exception of a few small segments of handwriting and math which we’ll sit at the table for.

To include my three-year oldΒ as much as possible, I decided I would make him his own binder to work through for those moments we are sitting around the table getting some structured work in.

So far, it’s working wonderfully.

We are almost a month into our schooling and he still grabs it every morning when Jovie heads to the table for her handwriting. And the best part is that he is learning as well!

The Learning Folder

Now, I thought this was a brilliant idea until I made the first few pages, then I realized this was a much bigger task than I had anticipated. πŸ˜‰

What I was thinking would take a few nap times turned into quite the project. A month later and some change…I finished it.

Although it took longer than I had anticipated, the end result was pretty pleasing. It turned out cute and my son loves it.

Age Appropriateness

I made this folder with my three-year old in mind, as well as a few topics that I knew I would be covering with my preschooler this year.

The folder is organized with the easiest pages toward the beginning and then progressing to the back with more challenging topics like money and time.

Topics covered

When I sat down to make a list of the topics, I realized that the possibilities were endless. After much deliberation, I settled for the ones that would work best with my kiddos. The topics included are:

• Colors
  • Phone Number
  • Clock/Time
  • Money
  • Skip Counting
  • The Five Senses
  • Parts of a Flower

(Here’s a quick video of the all the contents)-Click the video right above the green preview button to watch.

Assembly

I really wanted this binder to withstand a three-year old boy. Therefore, I decided to laminate each page and use clear velcro to attach the movable pieces. (I used velcro tape for the larger pieces and used the velcro dots for the smaller pieces.)

Once again, a little more work upfront, but well worth it. Assembly materials used:

Printable Download For You

Due to the troubles I had storing and maintaining this document as a free download, I’ve decided to put it into my tpt store for purchase only. Β Sorry for any inconvenience. Β If you want to make this learning folder for your child, you can find the..DOWNLOAD HERE

Happy Creating!😊

This post is also shared on Literacy Musing Mondays Linkup

*This post contains Amazon and other Affiliate Links.

Lenae

September 25, 2017

Okay Jessica, this is incredible. Mine is quickly hand drawn. I LOVE this! And now that I have a working printer again, I will be making lots of new pages. Thanks!

September 26, 2017

Thanks Lenae! I had you in mind when I was making this! You gave me a great starting point, and If I had your drawing abilities I would have hand-drawn it too! I had a ton more ideas, but the time just wasnt there. lol. Make sure you show me how yours is coming along. Love you, Friend!

Elizabeth

September 30, 2017

Thank you thank you thank you!! I’ve been searching for something to work with my son and daughter for awhile now and this is exactly what I needed – bless you th heart for putting it out there to help other moms!

September 30, 2017

Yay! Thats awesome! Thank you for the kind words! Hope its a great resource for your little ones! πŸ™‚

September 25, 2017

Perfectly elaborate!. I think it can be easy to leave out the little one when trying to stay on point with the oldest when homeschooling. I like your folder ❀

September 26, 2017

Thanks Susan! Mine are pretty close in age, so the time I need to spend with his older sister is pretty short making this type of thing quite practical in our situation. πŸ™‚ Hope your school year is going well! πŸ™‚

Terrigirl2017

September 26, 2017

Hi Jessica, I am glad things are getting back to normal for you! Home schooling must be such fun! Most of us don’t get the chance to be our kids primary teacher. I am so happy for you that you can do it! And it is nice your son can learn at his pace too , and has a will to learn. It looks like a cute learning topic list, and important things for him to know. Haha , you do need to make the folder 3 yr old boy proof! I know. I will hopefully get to download later. Thank you so much , you are such a helpful friend to think of us all! Hugs, Terri xo.

September 27, 2017

Thanks Terri! Hope you are having a great week and enjoying the fall season! <3

thisgratefulmama

September 27, 2017

What a great idea to laminate this! Isn’t it true that sometimes what we think are small projects at first take the most time? This seems like it was worth the extra thought and effort! Thank you for sharing!

September 28, 2017

lol, yes! I didnt calculate that one very well. Thank you for the kind words and for stopping by! <3

Dianna

September 27, 2017

How wonderful that you include your son. I’m so happy the fires are getting under control and the smoke is gone from where we live!!

September 28, 2017

Yes! I’m so thankful for breathable air! πŸ™‚

Polly White

September 28, 2017

Thanks for the free resources.

September 28, 2017

You’re welcome! <3

September 28, 2017

I’m putting together a bunch of stuff to print and laminate at FedExβ€”I think I’ll need to add this! How nice this is! Very well done. Thanks πŸ™‚

September 28, 2017

Haha! Sweet! πŸ™‚

Katherine Benfante

October 1, 2017

Jessica, this is INCREDIBLE!! Thank you for sharing what took you much time. It is beyond awesome. I think my 4yo would benefit from this, too – the money and time concepts are hard, as are the order of the days and months. I think I’ll make this for her and then pass it on to her (very bright and eager) 20mo sister when she’s ready.
    I am truly in awe of you homeschooling mamas. Very creative.
    I’m glad things are getting back to normal for you – fires are scary!

October 2, 2017

Awesome! Thanks for all the sweet words! I’m glad you might get some use from this as well. πŸ™‚

Kimberly

October 5, 2017

Thank you this is really well done. How are you storing all the pieces?

October 6, 2017

Thank you! I just keep them attached to the appropriate pages. πŸ™‚

Natalia

October 23, 2017

I’m so happy I came across this page πŸ™‚my 3yr old daughter loves learning new things we’ve been working on numbers, ABC’s, colors and shapes etc… She knows how to spell her name already “Soleil” I try to come up with fun creative ways of learning for her. She’s been asking to bring her “school work” lol with her while we’re on the go. This will be perfect!!! Thank you for the printable’s you did an awesome job.

October 23, 2017

Awesome! I love that your daughter will be able to get some good use from the Learning Folder! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words! <3 <3 <3

Yoti

October 27, 2017

This is exactly what I was looking for! thank you so much!!

October 27, 2017

awesome! You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

Dayna Adira

October 31, 2017

I wish I had a little one just so I can print it out!

October 31, 2017

πŸ™‚

Karen

November 1, 2017

This is AMAZING! Thank you!

November 2, 2017

You’re welcome! πŸ™‚

sephoravella

November 10, 2017

where can I get this freebie please?

November 10, 2017

sign up in the ‘free printable’ box at the bottom of this post and it will take you directly to the file. πŸ™‚

Jenna

February 8, 2018

It won’t load. Just takes me to my AppStore so I can download Dropbox, which has been installed on my phone for ages. When I hit open it takes me to Dropbox but no file. Any other way to get this? Thank you so much!

February 11, 2018

This file needs to be opened on a computer.

Ruz

November 10, 2017

Thank you very much this will be very helpful with my three year old.

November 11, 2017

absolutely! <3

Alexis

November 21, 2017

Thank you thank you thank you! This is exactly what we needed, I look forward to introducing it to my son’s daily routine!

November 23, 2017

You’re welcome! I hope your son benefits immensely!😊

Christine

November 23, 2017

Hey I have 4 Special Ed kids and this would be perfect. It says I can only get one right. So do I need to get this 4x. Please help?

November 23, 2017

Christine, Just download the file and print out a copy for each of your kids. 😊

KiraLee

December 10, 2017

Thank you so much!! I have just made the choice to home-school and this is fantastic!!! I see a tab for homeschooling that i will be exploring too.

December 11, 2017

Thats awesome! I hope your homeschool gets off to a wonderful start! <3

Eunice

January 21, 2018

This is truly fantastic!!!! I have children with special needs and this is exactly the kind of thing i have been looking for to do with them. Since it can be put in a binder, it also promotes their independence and its so bright and colorful and stimulating. They are going to love it!!!. Thank you so much for sharing your hard work with the community!!!! Amazing!

January 22, 2018

You’re welcome! I’m so excited that you will be able to use it with your children! ❀️

Meeral

January 25, 2018

This is so helpful. My daughter has a speech and language disorder. I have all the information all the tools but i tend to get overwhelmed when i think of everything we need to do, these printables are easy and fun

January 29, 2018

Awesome! So glad this will be useful to you! 😊

Kaci Strickland

January 28, 2018

I just want to thank you for sharing this. I have been looking for something like this for a while now. You are just wonderful for sharing this.

January 29, 2018

Sureβ€οΈπŸ‘

Ellie

January 28, 2018

Thank you so much! I was about to make something similar and appreciate your hard work!

January 29, 2018

You’re welcome! 😊

Darlene

January 31, 2018

For some reason I thought that the laminate ‘stuck’ to itself around the edges not the actual paper. I would have thought that if you laminate first and then cut that the laminate would come off…does it stick to the paper after you cut?

January 31, 2018

If you are using thermal laminating pouches and a laminator they will stay together just fine. 😊

Rachelle

February 1, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love it!

February 2, 2018

Absolutely! 😊

Alyssa Flaskrud

February 5, 2018

please help i cant find the free printables box……

February 6, 2018

It’s at the very bottom of the blog post. The box says ‘sign up for free printables’ and asks for your name and email. ❀️

Kyrstie

February 6, 2018

This is wonderful but I don’t see a box to download the printable file. Can I access it another way?

February 6, 2018

At the bottom of the blog post there is a large box that says ‘Sign up for free printables.’ insert your first name and email and it take you directly to the file. Happy creating!

Alyssa Flaskrud

February 6, 2018

I can imagine you were rolling your eyes at me Jessica. For some reason the box wasn’t showing up in my Chrome browser. I opened Safari and found it there but it just will not load in Chrome. Thanks for your help!

February 6, 2018

Not at all. tech stuff is inconsistent and doesn’t always work easily. Hope your little ones enjoy the folder. 😊

Jennifer

February 12, 2018

I love this learning folder! My son is 2 and loves doing puzzles, so this is a great beginning for him! He’ll be able to grow into the more difficult skills later. Great job!

February 12, 2018

Thank you! thats awesome! 😊

Hannah Thomson

February 14, 2018

Hi, this looks amazing. I have signed up and confirmed email. after that I get taken to a page saying there is an error and page no longer available. Have I missed the cut off to be able to receive this folder? Thanks

February 15, 2018

It’s still available. Make sure you are opening it up on a PC. The file won’t open on a phone or iPad. If you are still having troubles, shoot me an email and I’ll send you a direct link to the file. 😊

Jessica

February 15, 2018

Thank you so much for the file! I just got through putting them in the pouches and will cut out and laminate the small parts tomorrow. Question though. I saw where you said you store the pieces in the corresponding page, but how? Paper clips or such? That’s the only thing I can think of and I’d be scared they’d fall off. That’s a TON of tiny pieces to get lost.

February 16, 2018

I keep each piece on the appropriate page using plenty of velcro. That works best for us in keeping it organized. When we he is ready to do a page we just remove the pieces and put them on again before moving on. Of course you are free to come up with a different system. (Also, make sure you laminate the full sheet before you do any cutting.) Enjoy! 😊

Julie Notis

February 20, 2018

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO SHARE THIS HARD WORK

February 22, 2018

You’re welcome!

Holly

February 27, 2018

I’m not able to get into it on my laptop, is there a trick? πŸ™
    This looks so perfect!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

February 28, 2018

No trick, it should work on your PC. Perhaps try opening it in another browser. If you are still having trouble you can send me an email and ill send you a direct link.

February 28, 2018

Sorry for your trouble. Make sure you are opening it on a computer (not an iPhone or iPad). OR perhaps try to open it in another browser. If you have any more troubles go my contact form and email me, and I’ll send you a direct link.

Art R

March 6, 2018

πŸ™ I’ve opened this in Firefox, Explorer and Chrome but can’t get a “sign up for free printables” box to appear anywhere. My 2 & 3 year old girls would love a lot of the things on your pages!

March 6, 2018

I’m so sorry for your trouble. The box should be at the bottom of the post, not sure why it isn’t visible to you. You can send me an email, though my contact form and I’ll send you a direct link. ❀️

Marissa

March 7, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing this book! I look forward to trying it with my children!

March 8, 2018

Awesome! You’re welcome!

Patricia

March 10, 2018

Thank you for all the hard work that you put into this packet, and for sharing. Will be using in my classroom.

March 10, 2018

You’re welcome!

aylam87Ayla

March 26, 2018

You are absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!
    This is fantastic!

March 26, 2018

❀️❀️❀️

Marilyn Ketner

March 27, 2018

I just finished this binder for my 3 year old granddaughter, as a birthday present. Her parents were crazy about it. My son is a Fireman, so he is her care giver several days a week, and can work with her.
    I had some small ziploc type bags, so I labeled them with each of the lessons, and stored the cut out pieces in the bags. I then took about 6-7 bags, and put them in the pencil pouches that fit in 3 ring binders. It took 3 pencil pouches for all of them. I put 6-7 lesson bags, put them in the pencil pouch, then put that pouch after those lessons. I then did that with the rest of them. I bought a very colorful binder at Walmart, and since it was cardboard, not vinyl, I covered it with clear contact paper. Now it will stay clean forever!
    Thanks for offering this, as I had fun putting it together for my GD. Oh….forgot to mention…..I didn’t have a laminator, but found out you can laminate with your iron! I used a dry iron with a press cloth, on a medium heat. I experimented with a few pieces of paper to get the right temperature and how long to keep the iron in each spot. Turned out I could just move my iron slowly across the page and it laminated perfectly.
    Wanted to be sure to pass that on.

March 27, 2018

Wow! You are awesome! I love your idea and your innovative ways of pulling it off! Thank you so much for sharing! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘

Danessa

April 5, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing this! My 2 year old daughter loves this! This binder has helped me alot!

April 8, 2018

Awesome! You’re welcome!

Melissa

April 18, 2018

What is the best approach you have developed for working with this binder? Do a few pages everyday? Likely you do not do the whole binder each day. Suggestions would be appreciated

April 20, 2018

I usually let my son pick a few pages that interest him each morning. 😊

Gail

April 21, 2018

What a wonderful gift you’ve offered us. I teach the preschool Lab class at the high school. This will be a great resource for the high school-aged teachers to work with their preschooler. And a nice gift for the families at the end of the year.

April 24, 2018

Thats awesome! πŸ‘

Dara

April 28, 2018

I absolutely LOVE this. I just wish some of the cut outs were bigger. I am the world’s worst cutter. Lol. But I will manage. πŸ˜‰

May 1, 2018

I feel ya! The assembly was a little laborious πŸ˜† …But worth it!

Avis Snyder

May 15, 2018

Hi Jessica, thank you so much! This will be great for the children that I visit.

May 15, 2018

You’re welcome! ❀️

Amber Lop

June 22, 2018

Sucks I can’t see what all 53 pages look like. But I do love the idea. I’ve been trying to come up with something for my little one besides apps on a tablet or phone. Hope I can find a free version I can look at before printing. But love your idea. The 3 pages I can see look great.

June 23, 2018

You can watch a video that shows the entire contents HERE.

Emily

July 19, 2018

Hi! I am excited to maybe buy this for my preschooler. I am having a hard time finding the video where you explain all the pages of the binder. When I click on the two links I found, it just takes me to tour TPT page and I can’t find the video there. Is it still available? Thanks!

July 20, 2018

Sometimes tpt makes you log in if you are on a phone. You should be able to view it from a computer.