Books, Blogs, and Podcasts for the Homeschooling Mom

January 2, 2018 22 Comments

Happy 2018! I guess this means January is here, Christmas break is over, and it’s time to bring a little more structure and purposeful learning to our home school day. Not to say we haven’t been learning…

We’ve been counting how many sugar cookies are left on the plate and regularly observing the patterns on our neighbor’s Christmas lights.  (That counts, right?😉)

However, now that the lights and festivities have passed, I’m getting geared up and re-motivated to check off the rest of my 2017-2018 education plan with enthusiasm. I plan to do this with some reading, listening, and learning from other home school parents and professionals.

Right now, I’m reading Susan Macaulay’s For the Children’s Sake (so good!), and thought I would throw together a resource list to glean from for the rest of the year.

Note: I love reading about different philosophies of education and feel like I can learn from a variety of perspectives. However, I tend to gravitate toward the Charlotte Mason method, as well as, faith-based content which is reflected in this list of resources.

I hope you enjoy!

Must-Reads for Homeschooling Moms

Charlotte Mason Companion– This is a twenty dollars well spent! Karen Andreola inspires her readers with Charlotte Mason’s methodology. She comprehensively addresses all subjects with practicality, problem solving, personal stories, and lots of great ideas for homeschooling parents.

For the Children’s Sake– Susan Schaeffer Macaulay demonstrates how education is not confined to school hours but is a lifestyle of that is full of rich ideas, new experiences, and joy for living.

Pocketful of Pinecones– a unique, story by Karen Andreola that serves as a teacher’s guide to nature study.

When Children Love to Learn– In this book, Elaine Cooper uses Charlotte Mason’s philosophies to encourage homeschooling parents to harness their child’s natural curiosity instead of squelch it; Rather, turning it into a lifetime love of learning.

Teaching From Rest– This book is for the weary mother who needs to work to remove stress and angst from her homeschooling day. This is an encouraging, faith-based read by Sarah McKenzie about her journey and struggles while homeschooling her six kids.

The Well Trained Mind– This is a rigorous resource for parents homeschooling with the Classical Method. Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise give detailed book lists, and comprehensive curricula choices, and Classical methodology.

Educating the Whole-Hearted Child– Clay and Sally Clarkson share their experience and expertise on how to raise and education children to become faith-strong, life-ready adults.

The Unschooling Handbook– In this book, Mary Griffith gives some insight on how children naturally learn. She teaches parents how to capitalize on their children’s curiosity and impulses to learn without the structure of school pressures and schedules.

The Homeschool Experiment– a humorous novel about a new-to-homeschooling mom’s daily shenanigans. Recreational and relatable.

Consider This: Charlotte Mason and the Classical Tradition– Karen Glass shares her thoughts on education that will stimulate your thinking and inspire you to create a well-rounded home school. She seeks to bridge the gaps between Charlotte Mason and Classical methodology to a combined, comprehensive education.

*This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.

Podcasts for Homeschooling Moms

The Mason Jar-this podcast is Charlotte Mason inspired giving you ideas and encouragement for each day.
Your Morning Basket- a compilation of parents and educators sharing their morning basket ideas and routines.
Brave Writer-practical talks for parents wanting to grow in the area of homeschooling.
Parenting on Purpose- bite-sized snippets of encouragement to parent intentionally.
Homeschool Snapshots-a peak into the daily home-schools of different moms, methods, and their madness.
Read-Aloud Revival- all about literacy and books from a community of authors, parents, and teachers.
Inspired to Action-podcast about the professionalism of motherhood.
The Busy Mom-faith-based encouragement for moms
Schole Sisters-learning to teach with leisure (Schole). (Blend of Charlotte Mason and Classical)
The Homeschool Sister’s Podcast-all about home school and parenting
Homeschooling in Real Life-faith-based talks about faith, parenting, and homeschooling
The End in Mind-thoughts and interviews on character, education, and faith.

Blogs for Homeschooling Moms

This a just a drop in the bucket of great homeschooling blogs…Each one of these share their personal experiences as well as, offering an abundance of tips, ideas, and resources that could enhance your home school day.

I’d love to know, what are your favorite, motivating books, blogs, and podcasts?

January 2, 2018

This is amazing stuff Jessica. Thank you for sharing.❤

January 7, 2018

sure! 😊

Sammy and Sufi

January 3, 2018

Keep it up with these ideas and I just might home-school! It’s been debated plenty these last 3 years and we can’t make our mind, this is a treasure of information 🙂
    Thank you and a Happy New Year.

January 7, 2018

😀 This is our first year, and so far no regrets. I can only hope my kiddos are learning as much as me. 😆

Sammy and Sufi

January 15, 2018

That is awesome, are you in any way worried about the social interaction with many other kids not happening? Or are you making up for that elsewhere? You know, that is the Achilles heels when you tell people you are teaching them everything at home.

January 15, 2018

Great question! Not at all. Our goal is to raise life-ready kids. No other time in life, other than the classroom, will they be surrounded be a peer group. I think that daily life, submersed in diverse community, as well as, the intentional opportunities and experiences we give them will be great preparation. ❤️ Practically speaking, we are quite involved in church as well as, community, and plan to do some integration when it comes to sports, music, other elective opportunities.

• Sammy and Sufi

January 16, 2018

That is really awesome, specially having social circles outside of school, I am still mulling over the options. As a parent you want to give your child the best chance in life but you never know how things will turn out. Keep posting about your homeschooling journey so we can all benefit 🙂

• inspirethemom

January 16, 2018

Yes, so many hard choices to make in parenting without knowing where they will all lead…

Terrigirl2017

January 4, 2018

Happy 2018 Jessica! Why is it with those those sugar cookies you have to count in reverse from the last time you counted!! There is a goldmine of learning opportunities here for homeschooling, I wish I could do it but I have to send them to local school. I don’t get to read too much but I would like to get into listening to more podcasts. Your blog is right up there as a motivator and favorite , you set a great benchmark even for those who don’t homeschool, take care Dear, hugs, Terri xo.

January 7, 2018

I know, right?! 😆 I’m already missing the Christmas treats, guess its time to be good for a while. 😉 Thank you for your encouraging words!❤️

marriedbyhisgrace

January 10, 2018

Literally just hung up the phone with my sister (which of whom homeschools) to tell her to check out this post. Great resources. Thank you!

January 11, 2018

Thats awesome! Thank you so much for the share! 💕

Lizzy Ainsworth

January 10, 2018

What an absolutely fantastic list. We are starting preschool this year in Australia, as our school year starts January, and I’ll be sure to check some of these out. I was homeschooled myself, but these are mostly new to me.

January 11, 2018

How exciting! I hope you enjoy them!

HeavenlyTreasure

January 11, 2018

An amazing list, wonderful!

January 11, 2018

Thank you! ❤️

January 11, 2018

This is such an amazing resource, thank you for sharing!!

January 11, 2018

Absolutely! 😊

Terryn Winfield

January 16, 2018

Hi Jessica! Thank you so much for sharing my site! I am honored to be among those amazing women and hope I can be some help!

January 16, 2018

Absolutely! I love what you are doing and all the wisdom you share with the homeschooling community! ❤️❤️❤️

Ashley Wright

May 13, 2018

Hi Jessica,
    Thank you posting such a wonderful stuff. Also the resources you have posted in blog will be amazing to read. And as you homeschool your children can you please write something which would help mom who have a planing to homeschool their children.

May 14, 2018

You’re welcome, I’m glad these resources will be helpful to you. I’m a little confused by your question, you would like me to write about about how to get started with homeschool? 😊