It’s not officially fall at my house until I make Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. This moist chocolaty, flavorful autumn treat is one of my family’s favorite. Not only is it gluten-free, it’s low carb and could easily be adapted to Paleo. This is called bread, but who are we kidding? Its cake. I would eat this for my birthday… or just everyday for breakfast. No shame in my game.
I got this love of bread from my mom. She was the queen of quick breads. Really bread in general. She could make fluffy dinner rolls and crackly french bread, banana, zucchini, pumpkin, you name it. So many memories of my mom in the kitchen with her flour-covered apron on and the aroma of fresh baking bread wafting from the oven. I loved it. All of it.
Unfortunately, my tastebuds and my tummy didn’t agree. I finally had to choose between a happy gut or happy tastebuds. I eliminated gluten, refined sugars, and processed foods. For the longest time, I felt like I was missing out on the best, until I discovered the art of tweaking existing recipes to accommodate my healthy diet.
Some…(Ahem!)…many.. of these tweaks have been hilarious flops. Mushy bread, dry cookies, bitter treats. Yeah, I’ve had my share of failed experiments along the way, and I’m sure I’m not done making them. Nevertheless, when I do succeed, I add another healthy option to my repertoire that I can truly enjoy without the negative side effects. This is one of them!
This is a healthified spin off my mom’s recipe. I made it gluten-free and refined sugar free and honestly I cannot tell the difference from the original. Neither can Mr. Coppertop, and that is the true test.
*If you want to tweak it a little more for a paleo diet. You can substitute the gluten-free mix for more almond flour OR Bob’s Red Mill Paleo flour blend. Then for your sweetener, use pure maple syrup or honey in lieu of the Stevia. You can also replace the chocolate chips with raisins.
Super Yummy Low Carb Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Aluminum-Free Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Cloves
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 cups Pumpkin
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 3 tsp of Stevia Glycerite (or ¼ cup Pure Maple Syrup)
- ½ cup Coconut oil (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (I use organic, soy-free)
- Line 2 bread pans with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350. Mix together the eggs, stevia, coconut oil, pumpkin, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips then pour into bread pans.
- Bake in oven for about 50mins. (To check for doneness, insert a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean it should be done.) Best when served warm.
What are your favorite fall treats?