I met an amazing question asker this week. I know, kind of a weird thing to pick up from meeting someone, but let me tell you, it made such an impression on me.  She was so warm and so inviting, simply by the considerate questions she asked, as well as, the way she intentionally listened to my responses. So much so, that I was worried that I might run away with talking only about myself…

It got me thinking… Do I drop the ball when I’m asked a question, or do I return the kindness, and open a door for sharing… not only for conversation, but for friendship?

f4llftkyd_m-haley-phelps

Question Asker

I want to be a question asker and not a self-rambling fool.
I want others to feel valued because I make listening a habitual rule.

Believe it or not, not everyone wants to hear only about me,
They want a chance to talk and tell their own unique story.

It’s easy to get caught up in the thoughts twirling in my head,
And forget to think about others and listening to what they said.

I pause a moment, reflect on the past, and consider the tables turned.
I was most accepted when people asked questions in return.

They took the time to understand, listen, and learn my heart
They ceased to see another dull face, but rather a piece of art.

People in my world are filled with talents and stories so grand.
If would only shut my mouth and listen to understand.

I can’t help but think that life would be a lot more enjoyable.
If I replaced my selfish thoughts with art so beautiful.

<3 Jessica

Ok friends, time to get to know you!  😉   Answer one (or all three) in the comments below!!!

What makes you laugh?

How would your friends describe you?

What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done?

building-great-relationships-by-asking-great

February 15, 2017

Valerie

February 13, 2017

“and not a self-rambling fool” – I love this! It’s so easy to think we have the answers, that we’re interesting, etc but the truth is we need to listen more!! We learn so much more when we let others talk. ^_^ Thank you for this reminder.
    To answer one of your questions…I love laughing with my husband and kids when one of us makes a silly mistake!

February 13, 2017

awesome! Being able to laugh together over mistakes is the best! 🙂

February 13, 2017

You should answer these questions yourself, for us!

Since today is Valentine’s Day here, I’ll say the most daring thing I’ve done is to move halfway around the world for love. And I am so glad I did it!

(Close second involves balancing on a 2000 year old brick ledge, 7 stories high, in a necropolis so that I could jump out and scare my friends. It was hilarious, but now I think, What was I thinking? That ledge was so narrow half my foot was hanging over, and the brick was literally ancient.)

February 14, 2017

Nice! Just reading your second dare, I got nervous. lol. I’m actually a pretty cautious person, so its kind of a funny question for me…I went white water rafting once. Does that count? haha.

February 14, 2017

My friends usually describe be as rough on the outside but super soft on the inside……I really don’t know the true details to that. Unintentional comedy cracks me up…. Usually it’s from my 6 years old girl(who is a clawn to say the least).
    Stealing mangos from a neighbor’s farm as a dare game when I was 10 years old;I still have a barbed wire scar on my leg to show for it. Then riding a bicycle down a stop hill at the highest speed after a push from my siblings (ofcourse) to prove I was the best. Have another scar for that one too. 💞

February 14, 2017

These are great! <3 Stealing Mangos?! Shame on you! 🙂 🙂 🙂

February 14, 2017

Lol. Reminded me of the kids’ Dr.Seuss book “the fly went by” when the kids says to the Fox oh shame on you …. Shame shame shame”. I think with this scar as a reminder, I am tied to that moment of getting the forbidden mangoes 😂😂😂😂. We always said perhaps it was the old man’s magic for revenge.💞💞💞.

February 14, 2017

😂 lol.

February 14, 2017

So what makes you laugh your socks off sis?💕

February 14, 2017

My husband is a cut-up, so he is usually the one who gets me laughing pretty good. Also the things that come out of my kids mouths (I shared this on my fb pg yesterday… Jovie woke up warm from her nap and said “Hey mom! Look I’m sweating! Can I put some sweaty-pants on?!” 🙂 She got me going pretty good.

February 15, 2017

Kids will surprise you by what they say. I like that they will literally say what is on on their mind. It’s a beauty of a child’s mind/heart. 💞

February 15, 2017

🙂

fullyfreelife

February 18, 2017

This was so well said and I love the poem to go with it! God has been growing me in exactly this is area and it is amazing to see Him work as I invest in the amazing people He puts in my life. I am thankful He led me to this post today it is such an confirmation and encouragement to hear others say without prompting exactly what He has been saying to me.

February 18, 2017

Thank you for your kind words! I’m glad that this was an encouragement to you, I love seeing how God works in ways we don’t expect! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! <3

February 20, 2017

What makes me laugh – My granddaughter, life’s silly moments, my over-abundance of Humor. My friends describe as a good Christian, a sincere person, a person who never wishes to be in the limelight, a good photographer – and I do not want anyone to think this is bragging, because it is not! Daring things – riding my dirt bike across the deserts of Arizona, just as good as the guys. Riding a Honda 750 motorcycle by myself, water skiing (nothing real grand). You have a nice blog – love the poem you have enclosed.

February 20, 2017

Aw! Thank you for sharing all these great answers! I felt like you were sitting across from me with a reminiscent smile on your face and a cup of coffee. 🙂 btw, you are much more daring than me. 😉

February 20, 2017

I was a tom boy who did everything with 2 brothers. Perhaps that is what makes me more daring. I love to sit across from anyone, with a cup of coffee, a smile and have a 2 way conversation. 🙂