john-towner-125990I’ve always wanted to set my eyes on the vineyards of Italy or take hand-in-hand walks through the cobblestone streets of Paris with Mr. Coppertop. I dream of the adventure and romance, but when it comes to booking a flight, (other than the fact that I don’t have that kind of money) I find that I’m perfectly content to stay home and keep dreaming.

While amazing destinations may appeal to my spontaneous sense of adventure, home appeals to my heart. Perhaps it’s just the season of life we are in with three small children, or the fact that I tend to be a homebody anyway, but I like our noisy little place on this earth that we call home.

Home isn’t always sweet. I have moments that if someone handed me a ticket to Barbados, I would throw a cheese-stick in my purse, and walk out the door.

img_2236_edited-1

I get impatient with my kids for jumping off the back of the couch after I’ve told them a million times to stop. Our house smells like bleach because I bought the uber-thrifty dishwasher detergent and I’m too cheap to just throw it out. The laundry here is never done. My name is yelled from every corner of this house, and my place of momentary sanity is a little bathroom off the kitchen that is slathered in 70’s Williams-Jersy-Cream-Toilet-Soap Wallpaper. (Btw, whoever created that should be institutionalized..Just sayin’…)

While these are sometimes the face of this place I call home, the heart is when Mr. Coppertop piles the kids on his lap for a quick prayer over our day, before he heads off to work. It’s the sticky kisses I accept. It’s the laughter around the table when our kids thank the Lord for their food, their forks, and that they “dress really awesome” (which usually entails a princess dress, polka-dot pants, dress shoes, and necklaces hanging from her ears.)  🙂

These people and the love within these walls are what compels me to stay.

img_2256_edited-1

Maybe someday I’ll get to travel around the world and look Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa in her eyes or walk through the Bel Paese of Italy, sipping on a hot caffe Latte. But for now, I second Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, “There’s no place like home! There’s no place like home! There’s no place like home!” 😉

What is your favorite thing about home?

theres-no-place-like-home

February 22, 2017

I dream of going to Italy with my best half too someday. Maybe when we become empty nesters. I don’t know 😊. But for now, I love being home; infact I can’t stand not sleeping in my own bed and using my own pillow. It doesn’t matter how fancy a hotel maybe,I still prefer my own bed.( And I am no fancy girl too). I am full as long as I have my groom by my side. Now you have me dreaming of Italy though 😉. 💞

February 22, 2017

I am the exact same way. Only at home can I really rest. Italy does sound glorious though, doesn’t it?! 😉

February 22, 2017

Yes it does. We are allowed to dream though right?😂

of course! 🙂

Jenny

February 22, 2017

I’m much the same way 🙂 Home is absolutely where the heart is.

February 22, 2017

so true! I guess this is why I feel weird leaving my house at times, because I am so wrapped up in these people. I love it though, wouldn’t change it.

Natalie @ Milk & Honey Faith

February 22, 2017

This is so endearing and I couldn’t agree more. I’m a daydreamer and actually visualize myself in the same places you mentioned. Yet, when it comes to planning a trip I have zero motivation (or funds lol). I just love your blog!

February 22, 2017

lol. Its nice to know I’m not the only true homebody around. 😉 Thank you for the encouraging words about my blog–coming from another who knows all the work that goes into it, that is a compliment at its finest. <3

😂😂👌💕

Natalie @ Milk & Honey Faith

February 22, 2017

I’d also love for you to join me in a Facebook Group for Christian Bloggers called By His Grace Bloggers. We offer tons of encouragement and tips!

oh fun! Thanks for the invite! I would love to! 🙂

February 22, 2017

You certainly are the busy Mom. I am past that stage of children, it is grandchildren (and I can give them back Lol) My sanctuary in life is my home – my escape from the hectic world that lingers outside my door, I truly have no desire to leave America with all the terrorism in this world. Perhaps someday when children are gone you can venture to other countries and have time to relax. This is a wonderful post.

February 22, 2017

Thank you! I love that you call your home a sanctuary. Thats a beautiful picture of a sacred, peace-filled place. <3

Yes, that is how I think of my home. 🙂

SammyandSufi

February 22, 2017

You very much echo the voice of many parents (me and my SO included)! But in due time things will change, they will grow up before you know it and hopefully they will “call” and maybe yell of joy to hear your voice!

February 23, 2017

Sometimes its hard to think past these days of chaos, but you are right, they will not last forever. (just saying that gives me that painful lump in my throat…)

SammyandSufi

February 23, 2017

Believe me, I know exactly where you are coming from. Might as well enjoy the chaos and even participate in it, hah 🙂

Meg Weyerbacher

February 22, 2017

I love this. Amen to it all, yesssss. I tried to hide in my closet the other day just to finish a phone call. They found me. XD

February 22, 2017

Thank you! lol. They always find us, don’t they?!

Meg Weyerbacher

Ha. Yes. Kid radars!

February 25, 2017

Lol

February 23, 2017

I love this! I just saw a random survey asking “What is the most beautiful word in the English language to you?” and my immediate thought was “Home!” I guess I’m quite a homebody, too 😉
    You have a wonderful style of writing. I really enjoy it! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Aw, thanks Bethany! That is a sweet, encouraging complement:) <3

simplyanastasia

February 23, 2017

For me, I am definitely a homebody – but is it possible to be a homebody who is still anxious to get out and explore the world?! It can sometimes kill me to think about all of the many places I’ve never been to or that I didn’t get to before Jude was born. So reading this was really encouraging to read. It’s all a season – but even though it’s not adventure in a foreign country, it doesn’t mean it’s not still an adventure! Have you seen Moana? I know a lot about it was getting out and being brave and having an adventure across the ocean, but the song that really got me was when her father sang to her about finding happiness right where you are. It’s beautiful!! And it still gets me every time. There is beauty in travel but there is also beauty in your home life. Thanks for this reminder today!

February 23, 2017

You’re right, I think it is just a season. I think there will be time and opportunity down the road for more adventure (when the kids are older;) No, I haven’t seen Moana. I’ll have to check it out! It looks really cute! <3

simplyanastasia

February 23, 2017

Moana is a must see! I’ve listened to the soundtrack at least twice a week since the movie premiered.

February 24, 2017

Now I’m curious! Sounds really good!

February 23, 2017

There is absolutely no reason why you have to wait until your kids are older to travel. Kids make amazing travel companions. We’ve taken our kids overseas at least once a year since our youngest was 20 months old. Travelling with kids is different to travelling with grown ups (more zoos, fewer museums) but our kids make every trip awesome. It’s just so cool to see the world with them. There is a lot more curiosity and a lot less judgement. Don’t wait, just drag them along with you!

February 23, 2017

Just wanted to add, most of our trips have been to underdeveloped countries. But we have never felt worried about our safety or health, even in countries like Burma that have political violence. Being an obvious outsider helps! But being with kids also helps because one thing that is universal is that most people feel protective towards children. My point is, if we can travel to poor, politically unstable places with kids and still have amazing experiences, you can totally take your kids to Italy or Paris. They’ll love it, and so will you.

February 23, 2017

It sounds amazing. But besides the fact that we don’t have the funds to do that kind of traveling at this point, taking a nursing baby, and a potty-training toddler through airports and long travel days doesn’t sound super appealing at the moment. I’d love to start exploring those options in a few years when they are walking on their own and can hold their pee longer than an hour. 😉 hmm..I’m wondering, so in your travels what has been your family’s favorite?

February 23, 2017

Yes, it’s definitely easier once everyone is toilet trained!!!! We aren’t at all picky about where we go; we just look for cheap airfare, and know we’ll have fun no matter what. Since we’re in Australia, there’s often cheap airfare to Asia. The big bonus, when it comes to travelling in Asia, is that everything is very cheap once you’re there. The downside is that a lot of places in Asia aren’t terribly clean. If cleanliness matters, go to Tokyo. It’s spotless. It’s vibrant and easy to navigate and has tons of great stuff for families, from Ueno Park (make sure you check out the zoo!) to the Imperial Palace (bring a picnic lunch, then your kids can say they’ve dined at a palace.) My favourite part of the city was around Takeshita Dori – the street itself isn’t that great; it used to be the place to go for punk but now it’s the place to go for tourists, but the 4 storey Daiso is worth a visit. But then you cross the street and walk right into a massive forest, right in the middle of the city, and walk through this forest with 120,000 trees to Meiji-Jingu, a Shinto shrine dedicated to Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken. Just the surreality of this massive forest in the middle of the world’s busiest city – you won’t forget it! Food is cheap – just head to Lawson’s and pick up some sushi (or chicken nuggets, if your kids are as picky as mine) – and you can get an entire apartment for around $60/night. Plus, if you get a JR Rail Pass, you can go all over on bullet trains! I dare you to find a kid (or grown-up) who doesn’t like that!

If you really have your heart set on Europe, think outside the box when it comes to accommodation. For instance in the UK you can stay at caravan parks. People rent out their holiday chalets or trailers at incredibly affordable rates (we paid about $90/week for off-season.) Make your base there and then spend a week exploring the countryside. Since you’re in a house or trailer you can self-cater which brings food costs down. While you probably won’t save a lot of money through Air BnB if you’re staying somewhere like Paris or Rome, you could probably find a reasonably-priced place an hour or so outside of the city, stay there, and then just travel in a couple of days to hit the highlights. Again since you’ve got a kitchen, you can self-cater, which brings food costs down.

Australia has tons of stuff to do, and it’s safe and pretty friendly; but it’s also very spread out so if you head down here, be prepared to fly. (On the other hand airfares are cheap – much, much cheaper than in the US!) Also be prepared to pay a premium for accommodation – it’s never cheap. Food is comparable, although if you’re serious about heading down here, let me know and I’ll give you some tips on saving money! New Zealand is much smaller, so you can, say, rent a campervan and travel the North Island for a week and hit the highlights; accommodation in New Zealand is cheaper but food and petrol are more expensive. The great thing about travelling somewhere like Australia or New Zealand is that it’s very similar, so if you need, say, a new pair of shoes for one of your kids, you know where to go to find them. But it’s also different enough that it feels exotic – even going from Australia to New Zealand, you can tell you’re in a different country with its own culture.

The big thing to realise is that you’re all in it together – nothing bonds a family like being thrown together in a different country! You’ll have bad days travelling, sometimes you’ll get ripped off, sometimes you’ll choose the wrong thing for dinner (witness my husband, four days in to a Thai holiday, chomping down prawns in a cheap cafe and saying, “It’s amazing, I haven’t had gastro at all this trip!” Guess what happened next?) But if you keep your sense of humour and remember to slow down to take it at your children’s pace, you’ll build the most amazing memories. Random highlights: My son eating his first ice cream cone in England. My daughter waving like a princess out a tuk-tuk window in Cambodia. My son trying to pet a cobra at a snake show in Thailand. My daughter watching in amazement as a butterfly lands on her in Malaysia. Living out my life-long Chris Farley dream of living (okay, camping) in a van down by the river in New Zealand. Sitting with both kids in front of the Atomic Dome at Hiroshima, struggling to find the words to explain nuclear weapons, struggling to find a way to make them feel safe in this suddenly uncertain world, and thinking, Thank goodness I get to have this conversation with them, here, in this place.

February 24, 2017

This is awesome! I keep thinking about all those great conversations about our world you get to have with your kids. Experience is so powerful! The forest in the middle of the big city sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing, you have some great stories about your travels! 😄❤️

February 25, 2017

Love this! Fellow homebody here!!

February 25, 2017

Lol. Homebody’s unite! 😂

Amy Crooks

February 25, 2017

We have been happy in many houses over the years and it always comes back to, if my husband and son are with me, then I am HOME! 🙂 Thanks for the great article!

February 26, 2017

We’ve done some moving too, and I would agree with this whole heartedly. Family is home. <3 Have a great weekend, Amy!

Zinni

April 18, 2017

My favourite thing about home is the peace of mind, that relaxes all troubles! There is definitely no other place like home !! 😍

April 18, 2017