50+ Christmas Activities for Preschool and Kindergarten
Looking for some Christmas activities for preschool or kindergarten? Whether you are searching for Christmas activities for preschoolers at home, or Christmas activities for preschool classroom, I’ve got a nice long list of Christmas-themed books, games, activities, crafts, props, and more to fill this holiday season with fun for your littles.
Before we jump into the individual lists and categories of Christmas preschool and kindergarten games and activities, let’s go over some planning tips and tricks.
Planning a Christmas Unit for Preschool or Kindergarten
Thinking of planning a full Christmas unit for preschool or kindergarten? If you are, think of the elements you want to include and what your main objectives are.
Since we are a Christian family we like to celebrate the different traditions in our family, as well as, teach our kids the nativity story. During our preschool Christmas unit, we will also explore some other Christmas traditions from around the world.
Goals for Prek & Kinder Christmas Unit
Writing out goals or objectives for your Christmas activities for preschool or kindergarten is a great way make it productive, fun, and full of learning.
Here are a few of our Preschool Christmas unit goals:
- Identify general characteristics of Christmas
- Learn the Nativity Christmas Story
- Discuss what Christmas looks like around the world
- Do an advent or Christmas countdown
- Build preschool and kindergarten skills through Christmas-themed music, crafts, activities, math, language, and imaginative play.
Picture books about Christmas
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links.)
Another terrific way to learn about and celebrate Christmas with preschoolers is to read numerous picture books about Christmas. Here are a few of our families favorite Christmas picture books:
- Christmas in the Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
- Babushka by Dawn Casey
- Cranberry Christmas by Wende & Harry Devlin
- Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown
- The Nutcracker by Susan Jeffers
- Apple Tree Christmas by Trinka Hakes Nobel
- All is Well by Frank Peretti
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Christmas toys, games, & prop ideas
(This list contains Amazon affiliate links.)
Its also nice to have some Christmas toys to have down at your kids level, as well as, Christmas props for preschoolers to interact with. Here are some Christmas toy and prop ideas for preschoolers and kindergarteners:
- Rudolph play figures
- Nativity play set
- Christmas around the world coloring book
- Santa hat
- Christmas fidget sensory toys
- Nativity Busy Book Story
- Dreidels (Hanukkah Game)
Kid’s Christmas movies and music
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links.)
Next, think about what kinds of media you can add to your preschool Christmas unit. Here are some Christmas movie suggestions for kids and some music ideas as well:
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (DVD)
- Charlie Brown Christmas (DVD)
- The Original Christmas Specials Collection (DVD)
- The Nutcracker (Music)
- Christmas Songs for Kids (Music)
- Gospel Christmas Song for Kids (Music)
Christmas crafts ideas
Another great thing to incorporate in your Christmas activities for preschool plan is Christmas crafts. While there are a ton of preschool crafts to choose from, here are some that we’ve done with our kids and are fun for he whole family:
- DIY Bird Feeder Ornaments
- Finger Print Ornaments
- Popsicle stick Christmas Tree Frame Ornaments
- Beaded Candy Cane Ornaments
- DIY Paper Lights Garland
Fun Christmas Activities to include the family
If you are planning for Christmas activities for preschoolers at home, think of some ideas that can include your other kids as well. The following family Christmas ideas, are favorites in our home:
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt
- Make a count down chain
- Decorate a tree
- 25 Christmas Countdown Family Activities
- Make a gingerbread house
- Bake a treat
- Nativity Coloring Sheets (free printables)
Christmas Math Activities for Kindergarten and Preschool
Wanting to build your preschoolers math skills while still celebrating Christmas? If so, here are some Christmas math for preschool printables:
- Gingerbread color matching activity (free printable)
- Christmas Counting Busy Book (printable)
- No-Prep Pre-k-kindergarten Christmas math activity pages (printable)
- Christmas Tree counting activity
- Candy Cane Math activities (counting with beads and pipe cleaners)
- December Preschool Activity Binder
Christmas literacy and handwriting activities
You can also incorporate prewriting, letter recognition, and early reading into your Christmas kindergarten unit. Here are some printable Christmas prewriting and literacy activity ideas to get you started.
- No-Prep Pre-k-Kindergarten Christmas literacy and handwriting activity pages (printable)
- Christmas Sight Word Activities
- Printable Christmas Prewriting book (printable)
- Christmas Tree Alphabet Sorting (free printable)
- Christmas Tree Name Activity (free printable
Fine Motor Christmas Activities for Preschool
For a ton of Christmas, fine-motor activities for your toddler or preschoolers. Check out the December Preschool Activity Binder. It’s got a ton of low-prep, printable games that build fine motor, math, and literacy skills.
Christmas Dramatic play ideas for preschool
Wanting to include some Christmas dramatic play ideas for preschool? Why not try a few of these ideas:
- Felt wall tree for decorating
- Nativity scene dramatic play
- Cozy living room (fireplace, tree, gifts)
- Gingerbread man making station
Printable Christmas Emergent Readers
For a fun Christmas activity that focuses on sight words, reading and writing, be sure to look into some interactive emergent readers. Here is a list of a few printable Christmas emergent readers to get you started.
Printable Christmas Unit Builder for Teachers
For my homeschool moms and teacher friends, I’ve put together all these ideas into a printable resource. This unit builder includes everything in this post and also leaves room for you to add material lists and notes.
Whether you are creating a fall-themed lesson plan for preschool or kindergarten or just thinking of adding some activities into your fall homeschool preschool unit later this year, this is a great printable preschool resource to reference with a lot of ideas to choose from!
Download the Free Christmas Unit Study Plan
This printable is part of the Inspire the Mom free resource library. If you are already a member, hop on over to the free resource page. If not, fill out the quick form below and join for access to this freebie as well as other great content.
What are your favorite Kindergarten or Preschool Christmas Activities?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.