Today we are sharing how we made these cute, bird feeder ornaments. This project took less than an hour and was super fun to make.
And to top it off, it brings the birds and squirrels around which makes for good nature study and observation.
(That’s a win-win for this homeschool mom!)
Materials for the Bird Feeder Ornaments
(Amazon affiliate links included in list)
- 2 Cups Bird seed
- 5 TB unflavored gelatin
- cookie cutters
- 2/3 cup of water
- cooking spray
*note: you can use Knox gelatin packets if thats what you have on hand.
How to make Bird Feeder Ornaments
1. In a small sauce pan combine water and gelatin until the mixture is dissolved and lightly foaming.
2. Add the bird seed and stir until the mixture is well combined.
3. While you are letting the mixture slightly cool. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and cut straws about 2in in length.
4. Spray your cookie cutters with cooking spray so they will slip out easily once they are solidified.
5. Holding a straw in place (for the string), fill each cookie cutter with the bird seed mixture. Pack the seed down nice and tight.
6. Let cool in the fridge for about 30mins to an hour.
7. Take them out of the cookie cutter and insert the string. Now, hang them up for your feathered-friends to enjoy!
Also, check out our wood-slice ornament DIY!
*This post contains an affiliate links