Today we are sharing how we made these cute, bird feeder ornaments. This project took less than an hour and was super fun to make.
And to top it off, it brings the birds and squirrels around which makes for good nature study and observation.
(That’s a win-win for this homeschool mom!)
Materials for the Bird Feeder Ornaments
(Amazon affiliate links included in list)
*note: you can use Knox gelatin packets if thats what you have on hand.
How to make Bird Feeder Ornaments
1. In a small sauce pan combine water and gelatin until the mixture is dissolved and lightly foaming.
2. Add the bird seed and stir until the mixture is well combined.
3. While you are letting the mixture slightly cool. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and cut straws about 2in in length.
4. Spray your cookie cutters with cooking spray so they will slip out easily once they are solidified.
5. Holding a straw in place (for the string), fill each cookie cutter with the bird seed mixture. Pack the seed down nice and tight.
6. Let cool in the fridge for about 30mins to an hour.
7. Take them out of the cookie cutter and insert the string. Now, hang them up for your feathered-friends to enjoy!
Things you can do with your bird seed ornaments
- Hang around your yard for the birds to enjoy
- Hang on your tree for the holidays
- Gift them to neighbors and friends
More fun holiday activities
- Experience-Based Gift Ideas for Kids
- The Ultimate List of Non-Toy Gift Ideas
- DIY Fingerprint Ornaments
- DIY Wood-Slice Ornaments
- Scandinavian Fruit Soup
- Christmas Counting Busy Book
- DIY Stocking Christmas Countdown Garland (Cricut Craft)
- Printable Indoor Christmas Scavenger Hunt Clues
- DIY Scented Dried Orange Garland
What will you do with your bird feeder ornaments?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.