Coming off of our geology unit, I’m sharing a quick list of picture books about rocks that we found educational and fun.
Geology was a fantastic subject, and we can’t wait to revisit a little later. You can read about all the ways we made geology fun, which included activities and experiments. Today, however, I’m sharing some of the picture books we used to supplement our unit.
Benefits of Adding Picture Books to a Unit Study
Sometimes a visual picture or an interesting story is all it takes to get someone interested in a topic. We have found that reading about inspiring people, or discovering new information can be a catalyst of curiosity for our kids. (Us included!)
10 Picture Books About Rocks
(Amazon affiliate links are in this list)
1. The Rock is Lively by Dianna Hutts Aston- This is another great book from the author who wrote A Seed is Sleepy, and An Egg is Quiet. The Rock is Lively is full of beautiful illustrations, and a presents rocks in a poetic informational way.
2. Magic School Bus Inside the Earth- An exciting Magic School Bus adventure with Ms. Frizzle and her class as they discover all about rocks and earth science.
3. Rocks Fossils and Arrowheads by Laura Evert- This is another great take-along-guide. This one introduces some of the basic rocks, fossils and minerals you might come across. (Great resource for young explorers!)
4. My Book of Rocks and Minerals by Devin Denny- A kid’s encyclopedia for rocks and minerals! This makes a very nice resources to refer to as kids are collecting and observing rocks.
“Geologists have a saying: rocks remember.” -Neil Armstrong
5. Volcanoes by Dr. Franklin M. Branley- This is a great book about rocks and volcanoes. While it is really informative it doesn’t sugar-coat how dangerous volcanos can be.
6. Charlotte and Rock by Steven W. Martin- This is an adorable book about a little girl who wants a pet, but instead of a dog or a cat, her parents get her a pet rock. In spite of her initial disappointment, she opens her mind and learns to love her rock.
7. Rhoda’s Rock Hunt by Molly Beth Griffen- This is a sweet story about a little girl who goes on a hike with her aunt and uncle. Along the way she collects all the rocks that catch her eye, soon she finds that her backpack is too heavy to carry home.
8. A Rock Can Be by Laura Purdie Salas- This is a very simple read yet it teaches all the things rocks can be. From mountains to stones, fountains and bones, rocks are everywhere.
9. Jump into Science: Rocks and Minerals by Steve Tomecek- Put out by National Geographic Kids, this book presents rocks and minerals in an age appropriate way. Super engaging and fun!
10. If Rocks Could Sing by Leslie McGuirk- This is quite possibly the most unique alphabet book on the market! The author finds rocks that look the letters and then makes rock pictures for each letter as well. This is so interesting and is a work of art. (This would also be a fun book to inspire kids to make some fun rock art.)
More Nature Study Resources:
- Printable Nature Sorting Mats
- Ten Books to Get You Started on Nature Study
- How to Make Geology Fun for Kids
- A Simple Guide to Rock Painting
- Garden Activities and Journal Pages for Kids
What are your kids favorite books about rocks?
This post contains Amazon affiliate Links.