Ready to hear about some money making hobbies for stay-at-home moms? If so, I’ve got over 15 creative ideas that you can get started on today!
Whether you are looking to bring in more money or you are simply interested in a try a new venture, learning how to take your hobbies and turn them into a business is a great place to start.
Over the years, I’ve tried my hand at quite a few things. From craft fairs and photography to blogging, creating digital resources, and even writing a book. I’ve learned ways to take my hobbies and use them to create income so I can continue to be a stay-at-home mom and homeschool our kids.
With that being said, I’d love to encourage you to branch out and try new things too. Yes, you can be a stay-at-mom mom and yes, you can bring in an income. The key to success? Hard work, a willingness to learn, and a boat-load of patient persistence.
Now let’s explore the options! Here are 15+ Money making hobbies for stay-at-home moms:
Money-Making Hobbies for Stay-at-Home Moms
This is not an exhaustive list of money making hobbies for moms, but it will hopefully get you to think through your strengths, explore your interests, and inspire you to try something new. Let’s get started!
1. Money-Making Crafts
To begin, some of the best money making hobbies for stay-at-home moms are crafts. Yes, your crafts can be fun but they can be lucrative as well. Platforms like Etsy are full of artisans and stay-at-moms who share their creations with the world.
And if online selling isn’t your thing, look for local craft fairs that you can be apart of and start sharing the things you love to make. Here are some crafts and hobbies for stay-at-home moms that can turn a profit:
Money-making crafts for stay-at-home moms:
- Jewelry making
- Crochet or knitting
- Doll Making
- Making Cards
- Make soaps or candles
- Painting or drawing
2. Cake Decorating and Baking for Stay-at-Home Moms
Next, cake decorating and custom order baking. Are you constantly baking for your family? Are you running out of people to share your amazing creations with? Perhaps its time to offer your skills to your community and make a little money on the side.
People are always looking for unique cakes and baked goods for their celebrations. Try dropping your name into a few Facebook groups, or start by offering your services to your family and friends and see where it goes!
Baking business ideas for stay-at-home moms:
- Sell online or to local bake shops
- Offer a pastry chef service
- Open a healthy bake shop
- Make wedding cakes
- Offer cake decorating services
- Bread or donut sales
- Cookies, cupcakes, or cake pop sales
- Pie sales
3. Catering opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Is food your passion? If so, maybe a side gig in food catering might be your thing. You could come up with a potential menu and think through a basic business plan and see where it takes you.
And hopefully, you have a pool of family and friends who would be willing to offer themselves to be taste testers and encourage you start your own home-based catering business.
Catering business ideas for moms:
- Offer event catering
- Offer unique health foods
- Do themed buffets
- Prepare elaborate charcuterie boards
- Host parties
- Cater food unique to your background and culture
The next money making hobby for stay-at-home moms is photography. This hobby is nice, because once you get the pictures taken, you can do all the editing and processing from the comfort of your home.
Money-making Photography hobbies for stay-at-home moms:
- Offer event photography
- Do newborn photography
- Take family portraits
- Do wedding photography
- Take stock photography
- Take pictures for your local newspaper
- Self-publish a photography book
- Landscape photography
5. Flipping Furniture
Do you have an eye for spotting old pieces of furniture that could be turned into something new then increased in value? If so, flip something and see what happens!
People love unique pieces of furniture and are constantly looking for statement pieces or things that no one else has in their home. If flipping furniture is your thing, give it a go!
Flipping furniture business ideas for moms:
- Offer custom furniture painting
- Curate a furniture-flipping instagram account and then monetize
- Refurbish custom pieces
- Resale on FB Marketplace
- Sell online
- Participate in local craft fairs
Do you find yourself writing short stories, novels, or poems in your spare time? Is journaling a constant hobby for you? If so, you can use your writing skills to bring an income into your family.
To begin, start sharing your work! Enter writing contests, submit articles to publications, or start a blog. People won’t know you write unless you consistently put yourself out there.
Money-making writing ideas for stay-at-home moms:
- Contribute articles to a newspaper or there publication
- Write a kids book
- Self publish a book
- Start a blog
- Write for a magazine
- Guest post on blogs
- Offer editing services
- Become a ghost writer
7. Tutoring and teaching opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Do you homeschool your kids? Are you good at teaching others how to do things? Can you simplify ideas so they are easy to understand? If so, tutoring and teaching might be a good route for you to go to add a little income to your family’s monthly budget.
Money-making teaching ideas for stay-at-home moms:
- Teach online classes
- Tutor struggling students
- Offer tutoring services to schools, parents, organizations
- Read out loud for money (audiobooks)
- Create an online course
- Teach private lessons (piano, art, foreign language, etc)
8. Art and Illustrations
Do you have artistic skills? Perhaps painting or drawing? Those skills are marketable as well! Whether you sell at art fairs, craft fairs, online, or in book form, people will be drawn to your style and you will have found your market. Just put yourself out there.
Money-making art and illustration ideas for stay-at-home moms:
- Illustrating children’s books
- Make digital art
- Sell online or at local artisan shops
- Draw caricatures
- Card making
- Self-published art book
- Teach private art lessons
9. Farm business opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Some of the best money making hobbies for stay-at-home moms who have a homestead or small farm are simply finding ways to share what they produce. These avenues of income can be selling their items at the farmers market, hosting farm events, or even selling online.
Money-making farm opportunities for stay-at-home moms:
- Sell local honey
- Offer berry picking
- Sell farm products online
- Sell Fresh cut flowers
- Host a family fun day on the farm
- Open a pumpkin patch or Christmas tree farm
- Sell at local farmers market
- Offer farm fresh eggs
- Offer Butchering services
- Create an online gardening course
- Sell Grass-fed meat
- Offer farm tours
- Sell local herbs
- Offer Milk products
- Sell Homemade soaps, jams, jellies, candles etc.
10. Money-making thrifting for stay-at-home moms
Can you go to a thrift store and find items that have a higher value than the listing price? Perhaps antiques that are worth a ton? Or name brand clothing that could be sold for a lot more? If so, you can market those skills as well!
Not everyone enjoys sifting through thrifted items to find the gems. But if you’ve got what it takes, you could create curated collections that could grow a marketable following.
Money-making thrifting for stay-at-home moms:
- Up sale thrifted (but valuable) items online
- Put together a curated instagram with your finds
- Open an antique booth
- Participate in a vintage fair
- Have a table at a local flea market
11. Money-making decorating opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Do you love decorating? Are your shelves lined with design books and your mind full of new decor ideas? If so, think through some ways you can market those skills.
With that being said, ask you friends and family what kinds of decor help they wish they could acquire. Perhaps you can start by sharing your skills with the people you love, then go from there.
Money-making decorating opportunites for stay-at-home moms:
- Sell decor items online
- Create and sell mood boards for people
- Do affilate marketing for decor brands
- Put together a curated instagram with your recent decor the monetize your account
- Offer design advice and coaching
- Self-publish your own decorating book
- Start a Youtube channel on decorating
- Open a vintage or decorating booth at a local artisan store
- Offer decorating services
12. Hospitality opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Is hospitality your gift but you are stumped on how you can use it to help pay the bills? If so, think through the different elements of hospitality and see what you can come up with.
Is there a way you can host people at your house? Or do you need to find a way to host in another location? What ways can you use your natural gifts of hospitality to bless your family?
Hospitality opportunities for stay-at-home moms:
- Open a bed and breakfast
- Offer event planning
- Open an airbnb
- Self-publish a book about hospitality
- Host mother-daughter teas
- Open a catering business
13. Online job opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Are you online savvy? If so, there are tons of ways to make money online. From blogging and product reviews to Youtube channels and technical support there are a lot of ways you can generate revenue on the internet.
Online business opportunities for stay-at-home moms:
- Start a blog
- Do affiliate marketing
- Have monetized social media accounts
- Start a Youtube channel
- Become a visual assistant
- Start a print-on-demand business
- Do SEO and keyword research coaching
- Become a social media manager
- Sell digital prints
- Open an online store
- Offer technical support
- Create an online course
- Offer online coaching
- Offer formatting or design services
14. Money-making music opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Do you have a musical skill set that you want to use to bring in some extra income? Perhaps you could do piano lessons from your living room, or writing a music course for homeschool kids.
Since the arts are frequently being left out the schools, many families are searching for music alternatives for their kids. Could you help fill that gap?
Online business opportunities for stay-at-home moms:
- Teach music lessons from your home
- Write music curriculum to sell
- Write and record songs
- Create music-themed printable resources
- Put together a online music theory course
15. Money-making beauty, fashion, and fitness opportunities for stay-at-home moms
Is beauty, fashion, or fitness something you love to do? Why not turn your hobby into your favorite stay-at-home mom job?
Beauty, fashion, and fitness opportunities for stay-at-home moms:
- Start a Youtube channel
- Start a beauty, fashion, or fitness blog
- Sell clothes on places like Poshmark
- Create patterns to sell
- Design clothes
- Make and sell natural beauty products
- Review beauty products
- Curate a beauty or fitness instagram and then montetize
- Offer fitness coaching
- Cut and style hair from your home
- Offer beauty services for events (make-up, hair, coordinator)
Money-Making Hobbies for Stay-at-home Moms Q & A
1. What hobby earns the most money?
Wanting to know what hobby earns the most money? It really depends on what it is and what the demand for it is like. Print-on-demand businesses, online platforms, and/or a best selling books would be a few of the top.
2. What are some craft hobbies that make money?
All crafts can be turned into a money-making venture if you get creative and can demonstrate you craft’s value to potential customers. You can sell online or in your local community.
3. What is an example of passive income?
An example of passive income would be a book or digital resource where you make the product one time, and then it continually sells over and over making you more money over time.
4. What are some passive income ideas for stay-at-home moms?
Some passive income ideas of stay-at-mom moms include: books, patterns, art prints, digital resources, and print-on-demand business ventures.
5. What are five things I can sell online?
Five things you can sell on online would be: books, clothes, digital resources, antiques, and handmade crafts.
5. How do you make money while being at home?
To start making money while being at home, first, pin-point what you are passionate about. Next, do your research and see if you can provide a product or service (using your passion) that will benefit others. And then get started.