With Christmas around the corner, here is a list of fun Christmas activities you can do with your preschool or kindergarten aged kids.
Planning a Christmas Unit for Preschool or Kindergarten
Planning a Christmas unit will more than likely look very different for a lot of people. Since we are a Christian family we like to celebrate the different traditions in our family as well as teach our kids the nativity story. During this unit, we will also explore some other Christmas traditions from around the world.
Goals for Prek & Kinder Christmas Unit
Here are a few of our Preschool Christmas unit goals:
- Identify general characteristics of Christmas
- Learn the Nativity Christmas Story
- Discuss what Christmas looks like around the world
- Do an advent or Christmas countdown
- Build preschool and kindergarten skills through Christmas-themed music, crafts, activities, math, language, and imaginative play.
Picture books about Christmas
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links.)
- Christmas in the Barn by Margaret Wise Brown
- Babushka by Dawn Casey
- Cranberry Christmas by Wende & Harry Devlin
- Christmas in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown
- The Nutcracker by Susan Jeffers
- Apple Tree Christmas by Trinka Hakes Nobel
- All is Well by Frank Peretti
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Christmas toys, games, & prop ideas
(This list contains Amazon affiliate links.)
- Rudolph play figures
- Nativity play set
- Christmas around the world coloring book
- Santa hat
- Christmas fidget sensory toys
- Nativity Busy Book Story
- Dreidels (Hanukkah Game)
Kid’s Christmas movies and music
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links.)
- The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (DVD)
- Charlie Brown Christmas (DVD)
- The Original Christmas Specials Collection (DVD)
- The Nutcracker (Music)
- Christmas Songs for Kids (Music)
- Gospel Christmas Song for Kids (Music)
Christmas crafts ideas
- DIY Bird Feeder Ornaments
- Finger Print Ornaments
- Popsicle stick Christmas Tree Frame Ornaments
- Beaded Candy Cane Ornaments
- DIY Paper Lights Garland
Fun Christmas Activities to include the family
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt
- Make a count down chain
- Decorate a tree
- Make a gingerbread house
- Bake a treat
- Nativity Coloring Sheets (free printables)
Christmas Math Activities for Kindergarten and Preschool
- Gingerbread color matching activity (free printable)
- Christmas Counting Busy Book (printable)
- No-Prep Pre-k-kindergarten Christmas math activity pages (printable)
- Christmas Tree counting activity
- Candy Cane Math activities (counting with beads and pipe cleaners)
- December Preschool Activity Binder
Christmas literacy and handwriting activities
- No-Prep Pre-k-Kindergarten Christmas literacy and handwriting activity pages (printable)
- Christmas Sight Word Activities
- Printable Christmas Prewriting book (printable)
- Christmas Tree Alphabet Sorting (free printable)
- Christmas Tree Name Activity (free printable
Fine Motor Christmas Activities for Preschool
For a ton of Christmas, fine-motor activities for your toddler or preschoolers. Check out the December Preschool Activity Binder. It’s got a ton of low-prep, printable games that build fine motor, math, and literacy skills.
Christmas Dramatic play ideas for preschool
- Felt wall tree for decorating
- Nativity scene dramatic play
- Cozy living room (fireplace, tree, gifts)
- Gingerbread man making station
Printable Christmas Emergent Readers
For a fun Christmas activity that focuses on sight words, reading and writing, be sure to look into some interactive emergent readers. Here is a list of a few printable Christmas emergent readers to get you started.
Printable Christmas Unit Builder for Teachers
For my homeschool moms and teacher friends, I’ve put together all these ideas into a printable resource. This unit builder includes everything in this post and also leaves room for you to add material lists and notes.
Whether you are creating a fall-themed lesson plan for preschool or kindergarten or just thinking of adding some activities into your fall homeschool preschool unit later this year, this is a great printable preschool resource to reference with a lot of ideas to choose from!
Download the Free Christmas Unit Study Plan
This printable is part of the Inspire the Mom free resource library. If you are already a member, hop on over to the free resource page. If not, fill out the quick form below and join for access to this freebie as well as other great content.
What are your favorite Kindergarten or Preschool Christmas Activities?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.