Sandwich Kabobs-A Fun Lunch Idea for Kids
My kids are the masters of deconstructing sandwiches. This time, I beat them to the punch. These sandwich kabobs are already in bite sized pieces and ready for devouring.
Sometimes it’s simply for fun that we switch things up. A little element of surprise, a slight change in schedule, or transforming the daily sandwiches into kabobs…
These small changes can mean fresh light in my kid’s eyes or a spark of curiosity for learning something new. As a mom, that is what makes these shenanigans worth it to me.
Making Sandwich Kabobs
Materials Needed: (Affiliate links)
- Wooden Skewers
- Small Cookie Cutters
- Sandwich fixings
- Using the cookie cutters, cut shapes from the bread, cheese, and meat. (Get creative, there are no rules here.)
- Add each element of the sandwich to skewer, being careful to make sure it goes directly through the center.
- Layer the kabob filling the skewer. Make sure you leave a little room to hold the ends.
Note: You can add some condiments as you go, OR make a dipping sauce for the final product.
Kids Can Help
I love meal ideas that can involve the kids. First of all, I kind of like having the munchkins around. Secondly, it’s a great opportunity to teach some basic life skills while having fun.
Combo ideas Sandwich Kabobs
The best thing about this lunch idea it that it can be adapted in so many fun ways. We went with the classic ham and cheese (because thats what we had on hand) but the possibilities are endless.
- Ham and Cheese– ham, cheese, and bread
- Peanut butter and Jelly– put sticky sides together and separate with a piece of fruit.
- BLT– Bacon, lettuce, tomato with a a ranch dipping sauce.
- Cheese Meat Veggie– Cheese cube, rolled deli meat, cucumbers, and tomato.
- Greek– Salami, banana pepper, olives, tomato, feta cheese, and bread.
- Pizza– Mozzarella cheese, French bread, tomatoes, and pepperoni.
- Cobb– Hard boiled egg, roasted chicken, bread, tomato, cheese, avocado. (Honey mustard for dipping)
- Club– Bacon, lettuce, tomato, deli turkey, and cheddar cheese.
- Chicken Salad– Roasted chicken, grapes, and lettuce.
- Hot Dog– Hot dogs, pickles, onions, and soft buns.
NEXT, try making these Carved Apple Mugs.
This post contains Amazon affiliate Links.