After breakfast every morning, before everyone leaves the table, we like to take a few minutes and set our focus on God. Devotional books are a great tool to accomplish this goal.
It’s been a couple years since we started this routine, and we’ve gone through a handful of devotional books. therefore, I thought I would share my thoughts on the ones we have tried.
Top Christian Devotional Books for Kids
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate links.)
1. Love Does by Bob Goff- Our family has really enjoyed this book. These short, inspirational stories are written by Bob Goff and his daughter Lindsay . These humorous, heart-felt stories challenge families to love others where they are at and help them to follow Jesus.
2. The Ology by Marty Machowski– This book walks through christian doctrine and basic theology for kids. It addresses terms like creation, repentance, and forgiveness in a clear and understandable way. While illustrations are simple and nice, we found this book to be a little much for our younger kids. I’m sure however, this book would be would be more appealing to older kids.
2. I AM- 40 Reasons to Trust God by Diane Stortz– These devotionals are short and packed with great content. Each day focuses on a name/characteristic of God through a Bible story. I love that at the end of each devotion, she includes a ‘what does that mean?’ section, where she makes a simple, understandable application for the kids.
4. I AM The Names of God by Diane Stortz– This is another great book by Diane Stortz. Again she teaches the names and characteristics of God, but this time, the devotionals are more life-application rather than Bible stories.
“Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)
5. Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones– This was a fantastic read for our little kids. It goes through the Bible in bite-sized stories. The style of this book is quite lyrical, which may not be some people’s flavor, but I found it very engaging for our kids. The suggested emotions of the characters only adds to paint a picture of real people and real situations, making the Bible relatable to our kids.
6. Indescribable -100 devotionals about God and Science-by Louie Gigleo– Through amazing topics of science Louie Gigleo demonstrates how indescribable and awesome God is. I loved that our kids were fascinated by the science facts and in turn, saw that God, in his creativity, made it all.
7. How great is our God by Louie Gigleo– This is the second, science-based, devotional by Louie Giglio. This book has 100 more devotionals about God and science. This book has the same format as the ‘Indescribable’ book but with new, great content.
8. Grace for the Moment by Max Lucado– While this book doesn’t have any pictures, it does have short, concise, thought-provoking devotions for each day of the year. Rather than using story form, Max Lucado explains scriptural principles, usually in the form analogy or metaphor.
9. God is in Nature by Jessica Doebler – I’m so excited to share my book! Just released this year! 100 devotions that teach kids about God through nature.
Where You Can Buy Devotional Books
What are your family’s favorite Devotional books?
Also, check out this book list: 10 Books to Get You Started on Nature Study
This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.