Today I’m sharing healthier alternative to drinking soda. One of the first things to go when we started our natural journey was my excessive pop/soda drinking. I cringe thinking about how much of this beverage we consumed on a daily basis. We usually had cases of Dr. Pepper (which was Mr. Coppertop’s favorite) and a case of Sprite or Diet Coke around for me.
I would open one to swig on while I was cleaning the house, grab one for the drive to work, or one to wash down the remnants of dinner. All while I was feeling horrible, not really making the connection, or perhaps not wanting to make the connection.
After finding natural healthcare, I learned pretty quickly into my new natural ways that sugar causes inflammation. Inflammation anywhere and everywhere. Here I was with inflamed joints, inflamed immune system, and inflamed skin and I’m drinking something that is making it all worse.
I learning that one can of soda contains the equivalent of 10 tsps of sugar!
(Just a side note: the American Heart Association says that women should not consume more than 6 tsps a day. Which is still over half of the amount people were consuming in the mid- 1800’s.) Yikes!
When I was attempting to curb this consumption, I would buy diet sodas, which I’ve since learned are equally harmful, if not more so. Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are linked to multiple health complications including diabetes, brain tumors, emotional disorders, and so on.
I would drink a soda, get a little boost of energy from the sugar, and then I would be left with fatigue and a headache. To cover up the headache, I would take ibuprofen and drink another soda for more energy. It was a vicious cycle that was perpetuating all my health problems.
I quit cold turkey and never looked back. I think if I would have kept this habit it would have honestly sabotaged all my other great efforts to regain my health.
This is not to say that I did not crave them or don’t still to this day enjoy a bubbly drink. I’ve just learned to make water a priority and find some healthier options for special occasions.
Healthier alternatives to drinking soda
This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links
3. Water with essential oil or fruit- The options are endless with this one. Sometimes I’ll do a squeeze of lemon or a drop of oil in a clean glass of water. If it needs a little sweetener I’ll add a little liquid Stevia.
4. Smoothie- Fruit ones are always a treat, but green ones are usually our go-tos.
5. Zevia– This is the closest form of soda, if I get a real hankering, without sugar or artificial sweeteners. They come in all the traditional flavors like Cola, Cream Soda, Rootbeer, etc.
Healthy Fun Recipes to Try
- How to Make Carved Apple Mugs
- Easy Fruit Kabobs
- Frozen Fruity LaCroix Ice Pops
- Easy No-Bake Nests
- How to Make Ice Cream in a bag
- Sandwich Kabobs