Hot chocolate spoons are so fun and easy to make. Perfect for snowy, cold weather and a little pizazz your kids will love in their next mug of steaming cocoa!
What Are Hot Chocolate Spoons?
Hot chocolate spoons are spoons covered in chocolaty goodness that is stirred into a mug of hot milk to create a cup of specialty hot cocoa. They can also be used as stirring spoons to an existing cup of hot chocolate or coffee for added flavor and pizazz!
What You Will Need
- Chocolate (white chocolate chips, semi sweet, butterscotch, caramel, or any other chocolate that you love!)
- Peppermint (candy or canes)
- Spoons (I used mini wooden spoons)
How to Make Hot Chocolate Spoons
- Carefully melt the chocolate in the microwave at 10 second intervals, stirring regularly.
- Dip the spoon in the chocolate. Coat and cover it to your liking. Place on a piece of parchment paper.
- Add your toppings before the chocolate has set.
- Allow your hot chocolate spoons time to set.
- Once it is hardened, add your hot chocolate spoon to some hot milk or cocoa for extra chocolatey flavor.
5 Easy Hot Chocolate Spoons to Try
This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links. I may earn a commission from sales. Thank you!
1. Sugar Free
Let me start off by letting you know that hot chocolate spoons can also be enjoyed by those of us who have to limit our sugars! Instead of choosing a sugary chocolate to melt down, simply use a chocolate chip that is sweetened with monk fruit or stevia. (We like the Lily’s Chocolate Brand.)
So make the hot chocolate spoon of your choice and add it to your favorite Sugar free hot chocolate recipe and it will be a seasonal treat that you are sure to enjoy!
2. Peanut Butter Drizzle
For the peanut butter drizzle spoon, simply cover the spoon top with the melted milk chocolate then drizzle some of your favorite peanut butter on top.
Note: If your peanut butter is too thick to drizzle, you can add a little honey or coconut oil and heat it up for a few seconds and then you should have a consistency that will drizzle nicely over your chocolate spoon.
3. White Chocolate Dipped
This next hot cocoa spoon is a delightful combination of brown and white chocolate! First cover the top of the spoon with the dark chocolate and let sit in the freezer for a couple minutes to harden. Then to finish it off, dip with tip of the spoon in white chocolate and let harden.
For the classic hot chocolate and marshmallow combination load your spoon with a semi-sweet chocolate then top with mini marshmallows.
4. Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Spoons
For salted caramel hot chocolate spoons, you will need to find some caramel flavored chocolate chips. Melted down, this is the base flavor of the spoon. Once the chocolate has hardened (slightly) sprinkle some sea salt chunks over the top. (You could also drizzle the top with your favorite caramel syrup.
Do you like butterscotch? If so, get your favorite butterscotch flavored chips and fill your spoon to the brim. Top with nuts or a dark chocolate drizzle.
6. White Chocolate Peppermint
Next, is a white chocolate peppermint hot chocolate spoon! For the one, I found some peppermint white chocolate chips (lily’s brand) and melted this down for the base of the spoon. While the chocolate was still melted, we added some crushed peppermint on top. Yum!
7. White Chocolate and Sprinkles
Lastly, try a simple white chocolate with sprinkles one! Melt down the white chocolate chips and toss a pinch of colorful sprinkles on top.
How to Gift Wrap Hot Chocolate Spoons
The best part about hot chocolate spoons is that they are so easy to make into a gift. Once they are set, simply get a clear cellophane treat bag and place it inside. To finish it off, add a string or ribbon of your choice and tie it off.
Another idea, is to add the hot chocolate spoons to a hot chocolate gift basket or tied to a jar of homemade hot cocoa mix.
Things You Can Do With Your Flavored Spoons
Need a few fun ideas of things you can do with your hot chocolate spoons? The possibilities are endless but here are a few fun and creative ideas I thought of for mine:
- Give as a gift
- Add to a gift basket
- Use as a door prize
- Use as a stocking stuffer
- Sell at a craft fair
- Attach as a gift topper
- Give out as a party favor
- Add to a hot chocolate bar
- Sell at a bake sale
- Do as a Christmas morning tradition
- Do as a Christmas countdown family activity
Hot Chocolate Spoons Q&A
1. Can you freeze hot chocolate spoons?
Yes, if you keep them in a airtight container they should last in the freezer for a couple months.
2. How long to hot chocolate spoons last?
They will be good for about a week in an airtight container. Freeze if you want them to last longer.
3. What type of spoon works best for hot chocolate spoons?
Wood, plastic, or metal spoons work just fine.