I’ve been wanting to try this do-it-yourself Mason Jar hand pump lid since it was popular… three years ago… but I’m just now getting around to it. Now that I’ve done it, I’m not sure why I waited so long. It took me all of ten minutes and now I have a cute way to store some of my diy natural products that require hand pumps.
(Amazon affiliate links are included in this post.)
Just so you know, if you are not the diy type, but love the look, you can purchase the lid/pump topper on Amazon for pretty cheap. (While you are at it, make sure you check out all the other cool accessories and hacks that go along with mason jars.)
Since I knew the exact purpose I was going to use for this project I went ahead and purchased labels. I found some repositional chalkboard labels that work great if the container needs washing. And instead of using chalk with these labels, I used a white paint pen to do the lettering (avoiding any potential chalk smudging).
DIY Mason Jar Pump
Amazon affiliate links are included in this post.
- Mason Jar with two piece lid
- Hand pump from another bottle (I used an old Burts-Bees bottle pump because I was using a 16oz jar. If you are using a pint sized jar you can use pumps from hand soaps, sanitizers, or things of that nature.)
- Permanant marker
- Hammer and poking tool (I used a nail punch)
- Spray paint (optional)
- Labels (optional)
- Take your marker and place a little x in the middle of your mason jar lid. Secure the lid to the jar.
- Use your hammer and nail punch to make a hole. (the hole does not have to be perfect, just big enough to set the pump piece in so it sits nicely on top.
- Remove the lid from the jar. With the Pliers, secure the sharp edges to the under-part of the lid.
- Spray paint the lid.
- Trim the pump straw if it is too long. (You want it sitting very close to the bottom of the jar, but not touching.)
- Insert the pump and superglue it to the top of the lid (give it a little time to dry).
More DIY Projects to Try
- Fingerprint Ornaments
- DIY Wood-Slice Ornaments
- Bird Feeder Ornaments
- Stocking Christmas Countdown Garland (Cricut Craft)
- Scented Dried Orange Garland
- Fingerprint Heart Magnets