When we first started homeschool, we decided we would try to learn the names of the birds that frequent our backyard.
We picked up an an Audubon Society Field Guide, scattered some bird seed on the fence that faced our back door, and began watching.
I was amazed how quickly they learned to tell the Junco from the Black-Capped Chickadee. Being able to name the type of bird really gave them an interest in birds they hadn’t had before. (Now they are much quicker to notice new birds that visit our yard.)
Here are some of our favorite picture books about birds and their habits.
Picture Books about Birds
(This list contains Amazon Affiliate Links)
1. A Nest is Noisy by Dianna Hutts Aston– This book is by the same author as A Seed is Sleepy and An Egg is Quiet. Along with the beautiful illustrations, you will find it very informative about nests of all kinds.
2. Paddle, Perch, Climb:Bird Feet are Neat by Laurie Ellen Angus- You can learn a lot about a bird by looking at its feet! This book highlights these different characteristics and prompts its readers to be more observant of bird’s feet.
3. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman– This is a sweet little book about a baby bird who tries to find his mother. After searching high and low, he finally discovers her.
4. Owl Moon by Jane Yolen– This is a gentle, poetic story about a little boy who goes owling with his father: Informative, great illustrations, lots of sensory words, and rich vocabulary!
5. Mama Built a Little Nest by Jennifer Ward– This book teaches about various birds and their ways of nesting. Poetic story line and facts included separately.
“I do believe that something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” -J.K. Rowling
6. The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Anderson- This is the classic tale of the ugly duckling who grew into a beautiful swan. While we found the illustrations to be a bit lack-luster, the story line was still engaging and definitely worthwhile.
7. The Boy Who Drew Birds: The Story of John James Audubon by Jacqueline Davis– This is a great book to introduce your kids to John Audubon, his life and his amazing work with birds.
8. Baby Wren and the Great Gift by Sally Lloyd Jones-This is a cute little story about a baby wren and it’s journey to discovering it’s new world.
9. Bird Builds a Nest by Martin Jenkins– This is a cool book that teaches kids about physical forces such as gravity, using the life of a bird.
10. Peggy by Anna Walker– This is a simple, fun story about a hen and her adventure away from the safety of her coop.
Find More Books
Keep reading! You can check out our book list page for more great book options or jump straight to one of these lists:
- 10 Great Poetry Books for Kids
- Picture Book Treasuries for Kids
- Vintage Book Collections for Kids
- Picture Books About Rocks
- Picture Books About Weather
What are you favorite picture books about birds?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.