With the warmer weather rolling in, its time to break out the picture books about Summer. Here are a few of our favorites…
Why Read in the Summer?
Why not? Summer is a wonderful time to dive deeper into subjects like the beach, camping, hiking, the outdoors, gardening, bugs, trees, flowers, weather, or simply the season of summertime. While kids are experiencing this sunny season, books allow them to expand the knowledge and vocabulary behind it.
To make your reading time the most beneficial, choose living books that will not just tell facts but draw your kids into the feeling of summer (these will be the most memorable).
Picture Books About Summer
(This list includes Amazon Affiliate Links.)
1. Mama, is it Summer Yet? by Nikki McClure- This is a sweet book about summer for young kids (ages 3-5). The child in the story is noticing the changes of spring and keeps asking, “is it summer yet?” This book does a good job of bringing awareness to the characteristics of spring as well as summer.
2. The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant- This is a fun-filled, descriptive book about a family road trip and a great time visiting relatives. It relates true summer vibes and is very engaging for young readers.
3. My Awesome Summer by Paul Meisel- An excellent science book about the life of a Preying Mantis. P. Mantis shares his diary and kids are quick to pick up on how he grows, what he eats, his habitat, and how is summer is going.
“I do believe that something very magical can happen when you read a good book.” -J.K. Rowling
4. Roxaboxen by Alice Mclerran- This is a great book is great for inspiring outdoor imaginative play. The kids in this story use what they can find outside to create spaces and places to play in.
5. Come on Rain by Karen Hesse- This is a sweet mother/daughter story about enjoying a summer rain on a hot sweltering day. It paints a great picture of a truly refreshing a summer rain can be.
6. Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe – This book is about a little boy who discovers fireflies and decides to catch them in a jar. He enjoys the light but soon realizes he needs to set them free.
7. The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Vacation by Jan and Stan Berenstain- Another great Berenstain Bear adventure. This time, kids will learn all about the characteristics of summertime such as mosquitos, vacations, hot sticky weather, and even rain.
8. Summer Visitors by Karel Hayes- is a story of a family of humans and a family of bears sharing their vacation destination. It has very few words but the illustrations do a great job of telling the story while making it a playful and fun read for kids of all ages.
9. Summer Story by Jill Barklem- This is another great adventure with the Brambly Hedge mice. (book 2 of 4) This book paints the season of summer in the most engaging and beautifully illustrated way.
10. Summer Days and Nights by Yong Herbert Yee- This story follows a little girl as she discovers summertime both at daytime and at night. She learns about fun things she can do as well as great ways to stay cool.
More Great Summer Resources
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Printable Summer Busy Book
- Printable Summer Reading Challenge
- Fruit Kabobs
- Frozen Fruit LaCroix Ice Pops
- Garden Journal and Activities
- Life Skills Your Preschooler Can Learn This Summer
What are your favorite picture books about Summer?
This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.