Whether you are learning about Vincent Van Gogh and His famous sunflower painting or doing a nature study on flowers, here is a simple sunflower paper craft for kids you can throw into the mix.
I did this paper flower craft with my little ones this week and they loved it. The bright cheery colors, the conversation about sunflowers, and the fine motor skills with the scissors made it worth our time.
How to Make this Sunflower Paper Craft
(Amazon affiliate links are included in these directions)
First things first, download the Free template then we can begin. If you don’t want to bother with the pattern, could easily free hand the shapes.
- Free Sunflower craft template
- *Card stock paper- 3 shades of yellow, brown, green, and a background color like blue or white
- Glue sticks
*I like the Printworks card stock
1. Cut out the template pieces.
2. Use your template cutouts as a pattern. Cut the largest pedal and stem from the green paper. Then, use the middle sized pedal pattern for the darker yellow pedals, and the smaller sized template for the other two lighter yellows. Lastly, cut your brown circle for the center.
3. Place your background piece in front of you vertically and glue the stem coming up from the bottom.
4. Glue the center onto the top of the stem. (Be sure to only glue the center of the circle so you have plenty of room to tuck your pedals under.)
5. Take your dark yellow and begin tucking them in around the center. When you are finished, begin filling in the gaps with the other shades of yellow.
6. Once everything is securely glued into place, take the end of your pencil and curl out the tips of each of the pedals for a 3D flower look.
Picture Books About Sunflowers
- Sunflower House by Eve Bunting
- To Be Like the Sun by Susan Marie Swanson
- Katie and the Sunflowers by James Mayhew
More Fun Resources for Summer
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Printable Summer Busy Book
- Printable Summer Reading Challenge
- Fruit Kabobs
- Frozen Fruit LaCroix Ice Pops
- Garden Journal and Activities
- Life Skills Your Preschooler Can Learn This Summer
What is your favorite sunflower craft?
This post contains Amazon affiliate Links.